Friday, May 7, 2010

Curtis Sittenfeld - Quick Reviews


Prep: A Novel
(mentioned by Alice in the phone call in Chapter 3)
I'm a sucker for novels set in private schools so I was always going to love this one. I love the dissection of class, as well as the lessons the protagonist is forced to learn when it comes to friendship and love.

American Wife
(the book Alice gets Jake to buy Edward in Chapter 1)
This is my favorite of the three. It's loosely based on events in Laura Bush's life. That being said, I didn't see the protagonist as the former First Lady - it's fiction. The storyline revolves more around family and relationships than politics.

The Man of My Dreams
(the book Edward finds Isabella reading in Chapter 3)
I'm not the biggest fan of this one, mostly because I found the character's quest for love to be idealistic and cliched. It was interesting to read a book written in present tense - and it did give me the idea of writing TCC in present tense - but I found the protagonist to be annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment